Kennel Technician – Evenings
The Kennel Technician assists in the care of service dogs in training residing at the Hero Dogs facility. This individual will assist the Kennel Manager and volunteers with dog care duties including exercise, grooming, and feeding. The Kennel Technician is also responsible for a variety of cleaning duties throughout the facility. This is a part-time position (18-24 hours per week) that requires evening and some holiday availability and may occasionally require emergency dog care during off-shift hours.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with care of dogs in training, including:
- Supervising dog exercise and playtime,
- Assisting and supervising volunteers during volunteer shifts,
- Scooping and cleaning up play yard and litter boxes,
- Grooming dogs,
- Washing dishes, bowls, and toys,
- Cleaning responsibilities throughout facility, including:
- Daily sweeping, mopping, and cleaning dog kennels,
- Taking out trash and recycling,
- Weekly cleaning of classroom, bathrooms, and office areas,
- Other occasional cleaning projects,
- Participation in annual facility-wide clean-up day.
- Prompt communication of any concerns to Kennel Manager.
- Maintain appropriate interpersonal relationships with others.
- Other duties as assigned.
Shifts and Hours:
- This is a part-time position (18-24 hours per week). Currently available shifts are:
- Sunday – Wednesday, 4:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
- Thursday – Saturday, 4:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
- Some holiday shifts will be required.
- Occasional off-shift emergency dog care may be required.
- Experience with dog handling and husbandry in a commercial setting (such as a shelter, kennel, or veterinary practice) – volunteer experience is acceptable.
- Ability to comfortably work with and handle large dogs (60-75 lbs.) and a cat.
- Capable of performing physical tasks that involve regular bending, lifting, carrying, stooping, scrubbing, etc. Able to lift and carry 35 lbs.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team.
- Ability to direct and manage the activities of volunteers.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Punctuality and strong work ethic.
- Commitment to using only force-free training and handling methods is mandatory.
- Experience and education in animal behavior and training is highly desirable.
Salary and Benefits:
- Part-time hourly employee, $12.50 per hour.
- Paid time off earned on a pro-rated basis based on hours worked (up to a maximum of 60 hours per year) after first 3 months.
- Time-and-a-half paid for holiday hours.
- Participation in 403(b) savings plan.
- Ability to purchase health insurance.
A letter explaining your interest in this position and your qualifications should be emailed not later than March 31, 2020 to email@example.com. Please provide at least two references.
Hero Dogs, Inc. is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
Please click here for information about volunteering!