It’s impossible to fully thank a veteran or first-responder, but a service dog can go a long way in showing our appreciation. A well-trained, eager-to-please dog can do everything from retrieving items, opening doors and turning on lights, to alerting their partners to sounds and waking them from nightmares. In short, a service dog can be invaluable. And to the veteran or first-responder, there is no cost to receive a Hero Dog.
The truth is, each dog costs around $40,000 to train from puppy to placement. Please donate today. All donations support the raising, training, housing, and feeding of these four-legged heroes.
- Set up a recurring gift
- Send a check by mail (download form)
- Make an honor/memory gift donation
Other Ways to Give
Become a sponsor
Click here to learn more about sponsorship opportunities.
Give at work
If you are a federal or state employee, you can donate through your agency’s annual giving campaign:
- Combined Federal Campaign (#20303)
- Maryland Charity Campaign (#27-0887317)
- Commonwealth of Virginia Campaign (#3961)
If your employer has their own giving campaign, or has a matching gifts program, you can request that Hero Dogs be added to the list of eligible charities. Our EIN is #27-0887317.
Some companies also have independent foundations that make gifts or grants to non-profits. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 888-570-8653 with the information about how to apply through your company, or if you need further information or assistance in making Hero Dogs a part of your employer’s charitable giving.
Leave a legacy
Click here to learn more about Legacy gifts.
Raise funds for Hero Dogs
We are grateful for the support of all of the individuals and organizations who raise funds for Hero Dogs. All third-party fundraisers help Hero Dogs by raising awareness of our mission as well as raising funds. Please read the following and contact Hero Dogs before planning your event or fundraiser.
Any size event can help Hero Dogs, from a small family yard sale to a large corporate gala. Event ideas include:
- Birthdays, bar/bat mitzvahs, or other parties where donations are made to Hero Dogs in lieu of gifts
- Sporting or musical events where the “entry fee” is donated to Hero Dogs
- Silent auctions
- Corporate holiday parties
- Golf tournaments
- Bake sales
- “Casual Fridays” at an office
- Bicycle and foot races
- Motorcycle rides
To ensure that Hero Dogs is represented properly, to preserve ethics and integrity in fundraising, and to ensure that all legal solicitation requirements are being met, we need to approve your event or fundraiser idea. Please contact us at email@example.com or call 888-570-8653 to discuss your idea and to obtain a copy of our third-party fundraising agreement. Please note that use of logos, photographs, videos, and other intellectual property of Hero Dogs is prohibited without permission.
Hero Dogs is a very small organization, so we are unable to provide any administrative or organizational help for your fundraiser. What we can provide is printed materials about Hero Dogs (brochures, capabilities statements, postcards), and thank you letters and tax receipts to donors you identify to us. If your event is open to the public, we’d be happy to put it up on our calendar to help raise awareness of it.
Please note that we do NOT ask our clients with Hero Dogs to attend events — we feel that they’ve already given enough. However, you can fill out a speaker request form and, if appropriate, we may be able to send a volunteer or staff member to represent Hero Dogs at your event.
Shop to give
Donate goods and supplies
The easiest way to find gifts that we need is to visit our Amazon wish list or our Chewy wish list. We also love to receive gift cards to:
- pet stores (chewy.com, PetValu, Loyal Companion, PetSmart, Petco/Unleashed)
- home improvement stores (Home Depot, Lowes)
- department stores (Target, Walmart)
- grocery stores (Giant, Safeway, Harris Teeter, Weis, Wegmans, Whole Foods)
Gift cards help us get what we need most, when we need it, without having to worry about storage. Plus, using gift cards gives the dogs in training an outing to go shopping!
If you would like to collect supplies to donate to Hero Dogs, please use the following list to guide you. If a brand is specified, please get that brand (believe us, we have tried them all!). Please do contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 888-570-8653 to ask if we can use the items before collecting or bringing anything which is not on this list, as we have very limited storage space.
Download a PDF of this list.
- paper towels
- toilet paper
- re-sealable sandwich bags
- gallon-size re-sealable bags
- 8 or 12 oz. hot beverage cups
- KONG Extreme KONG Dog Toy, X-Large, Black
- KONG Classic KONG Dog Toy, X-Large, Red
- dog waste pick-up bags
- FURminator Large Long Hair Dog deShedding Tool
- FURminator Large Short Hair Dog deShedding Tool
- canned plain pumpkin
- Stella & Chewy’s freeze-dried dog treats
- PureBites freeze-dried dog treats
- cosmetic-type cotton squares/circles (not cotton balls)
- Zymox brand ear cleanser
- Petrodex enzymatic toothpaste, dog, poultry flavor
- 42″ folding wire dog crates, new or gently used
- bleach wipes
- environmentally friendly h.e. laundry detergent
- heavy-duty 33-gal. black trash bags
- Oreck commercial XL vacuum cleaner bags
- Simple Solution brand stain and odor remover
- #10 security envelopes
- #9 security envelopes
- 8.5″ x 11″ copy/print paper, 92 bright white, 20 lb.
- 8.5″ x 11″ card stock, 96 bright white, 110 lb.
- Forever postage stamps
Please do not bring the following types of items, as we will not be able to use them:
- Dog food
- Dog treats (other than those specifically listed above)
- Edible dog chews
- Used dog toys
- Bedding of any kind
- Airline-style crates, non-folding crates, or wire crates of sizes other than 42″.
Your gift, pooled with other support, will help us provide service dogs and other highly skilled canines to America’s heroes. Funds donated to a specific dog may be utilized to support general program needs.
Hero Dogs, Inc. is recognized as a tax exempt organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Contributions to Hero Dogs are deductible under section 170 of the Code. A copy of our current financial statement is available on request by contacting Hero Dogs, Inc. at P.O. Box 64, Brookeville, MD 20833-0064. Documents and information submitted to the State of Maryland under the Maryland Charitable Solicitations Act are available from the Office of the Secretary of State for the cost of copying and postage.