- Name: Hero Dogs Stars and Stripes – “Stella”
- Breed/Color/Sex: Spinone Italiano, brown roan, F
- DOB: August 10, 2016
- Current Status: Skilled Home Companion
- Donor: PennyLane Spinone (Karen Thompson)
- Puppy Raiser: Stacy N.
- Puppy Sponsor: Chesapeake Collision
- Puppy Scholarship: ProAssurance
Stella is a 2 ½ year old, 70 lb., spayed female Spinone Italiano. She is a very low-key, mellow dog who is extremely loving and affectionate with people in her family. Stella does not have the necessary confidence to become a service dog. Stella can be shy around new people and takes a minute to warm up. She is nervous on slippery floors and sometimes on stairs. A lot of busyness and chaos can be stressful for Stella.
Stella’s coat requires regular grooming, and she needs an owner that is willing and able to keep up with her grooming needs. She must be brushed daily to prevent painful mats from forming in her coat, and requires frequent trimming, particularly around her face, paws, and rear.
Stella’s exercise needs are moderate, but she is a young and healthy dog. She needs a long walk and a chance to romp and play every day. She likes to play fetch with toys. If you give her adequate exercise, Stella is quite calm and quiet indoors, and is usually found snoozing. Stella loves cats and gets along with other well-mannered dogs. Being from a hunting breed, Stella is very interested in birds and easily distracted outdoors.
Although our foremost concern for Stella is to find her a loving home which can meet her needs, priority will be given to a military, veteran, or first-responder family who is seeking a Skilled Home Companion. Stella has basic skills that could aid a person with physical or mobility limitations. Her quiet and affectionate nature is also ideal for a person seeking emotional support.
Requirements to adopt Stella:
- Adopter lives within approximately 50 miles of zip code 20833
- Older children (8 and up) only in the household
- Fenced yard not required, but strongly encouraged (invisible/electric fences NOT permitted)
The adoption donation for Stella is $1,000. Adoption donations are waived for veterans and first-responders.