General Position Description
This individual reports to the Program Director and is responsible for administration of the service dog application process and for leading and guiding the activities of the volunteer Application Committee, which reviews and makes recommendations on applications from persons seeking to receive a service dog. This is a part-time position which requires previous clinical experience in a mental health field.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Service Dog Application Process
- Respond to all requests for application materials from website, e-mail, and telephone.
- Determine basic eligibility of potential applicants; perform background checks.
- Maintain application materials:
- Instructions and cover letters to applicants and medical practitioners
- Release forms
- Medical reference forms
- Personal reference forms
- Send and gather application materials from applicants, practitioners, and references.
- Provide prompt, respectful, and confidential communication with applicants, practitioners, and references.
- Log all applicant activity.
- Review applications, medical records, and supporting documentation for completeness, privacy, and potential concerns before distribution to Application Committee.
- Schedule interviews and home visits with qualified applicants.
- Compile statistical information regarding applications.
- Document and maintain application processes and procedures; as necessary, suggest updates or modifications to application processes, procedures, and materials to Program Director.
Application Committee Leadership
- Communicate with members of Application Committee.
- Prepare agenda, conduct, and keep minutes of quarterly meetings of the Application Committee.
- Recruit, interview, and recommend new members to serve on Application Committee.
- Orient and educate members of Application Committee and Hero Dogs staff on issues relevant to persons with physical or psychological trauma.
- Guide Application Committee through review of each completed application package:
- Distribute application packages for review to the Committee
- Compile reviews by Committee members, collect follow-up information as required.
- Arrange for Application Committee members to participate in personal interviews and home visits.
- Lead Committee in personal interviews with candidates and candidates’ primary support person.
- Write application package summary and recommendation for each package reviewed.
- Write interview report and recommendation for each candidate interviewed.
- Distribute completed reports of application packages, interviews, and home visits to Program Director and Application Committee members.
- Mental health professional with relevant advanced degree or professional certification.
- At least 3 years of clinical experience counseling patients with trauma and post-traumatic stress.
- Experience and proficiency in conducting personal interviews.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team leader.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and timeliness in completion of all required reports.
- Ability and willingness to work a highly variable schedule to include some evenings and weekends.
- Sensitivity to the needs of persons with physical and psychological disabilities.
- High degree of discretion dealing with confidential information.
- Clinical experience counseling patients with military or first-responder backgrounds.
- Proficiency with typical office and email software.
- Experience working or volunteering for a nonprofit organization.
Hours and Compensation
- Part time position; approximately 40 hours per month (varies depending on volume of applications).
- Most work can be conducted at home except:
- Candidate personal interviews (weekends, approximately 1-2 times per month, three hours each)
- Application Committee meetings (evenings, once per quarter, 2 hours) conducted at Hero Dogs offices.
- Compensation commensurate with experience.
Send resume or CV, compensation requirements, and at least 2 professional references to:
Hero Dogs, Inc.
Attn: Application Committee
P.O. Box 64
Brookeville, MD 20833-0064
Or email to: email@example.com
Hero Dogs, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applications from qualified persons with disabilities and veterans of the U.S. Uniformed Services strongly encouraged.