Job title: Development Director
Posted: October 5, 2018
Closes: October 26, 2018
About the Position: Hero Dogs seeks an exceptional addition to our team who shares our vision and has the skills and experience to manage our development efforts. The Development Director will be expected to develop and execute a plan to meet or exceed the organization’s aggressive fundraising and strategic growth goals. The Development Director is expected to have the ability to significantly advance the financial position of the organization. The Development Director will be a spokesperson for Hero Dogs, dramatically increasing the organization’s visibility to our target constituent groups of veterans, their families and supporters, financial supporters, volunteers, and the community at large.
This is an exciting opportunity for a team-player who loves dogs, knows how to raise charitable dollars, create stakeholders, and can engage our staff and volunteers effectively as ambassadors of our mission. This is a full-time position that reports to the Executive Director. Salary range is $70,000 – $75,000. Benefits include 15 days paid time off, health insurance, and 403(b) savings plan.
- Development and implementation of a fundraising plan with short and long-term goals to meet the program, capital, administrative, and contingency needs of the organization.
- Cultivation and growth of individual donor base through written appeals, speaking engagements, and personal contact.
- High visibility participation in critical workplace giving campaigns such as the Combined Federal Campaign and the Maryland Charity Campaign, including annual registrations, staffing of agency events, and dissemination of marketing materials.
- Planning and executing a grant-seeking program including research, prioritization of potential grant opportunities, submission of letters of inquiry, grant writing, record keeping, and any required grant reporting.
- Solicitation of corporate sponsorships for program goals, capital needs, and special events.
- Planning and execution of special fundraising events including an annual golf tournament.
- Create marketing materials that align with strategic priorities in fundraising, volunteer recruitment, and veterans outreach.
- Create a media and community contact database, including press contacts, DOD offices, employers, and contractors, veterans’ and military groups, VA hospitals and centers, local police, fire and EMS offices, and other relevant community groups, etc.
- Ensure high-quality, readability, and consistent voice in development materials.
- Execute communications strategies to include appearances in traditional and electronic media outlets, mailing campaigns, dissemination of marketing materials, attendance at community events, speaking engagements, Hero Dogs’ own events, and educational presentations.
- Actively promote collaborations with other nonprofit organizations who serve veterans and first responders to share resources, connections, and mutual access for our clients.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Must have a minimum of five years of development or fundraising experience, preferably at a nonprofit organization.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of marketing and public relations.
- Proven track record as a successful fundraiser with the ability to initiate and execute new fundraising strategies, successfully cultivate donors, and approach high-level donors.
- Demonstrated success writing and winning grant applications.
- Proven ability to build and foster strong relationships with staff, colleagues at other organizations, donors, and key stakeholders.
- Superb communication skills and the ability to effectively address multiple audiences using a variety of formats. Examples include: written communications to clients, donors, staff, and other stakeholders that clearly outline the situation and action items; verbal presentations and briefings; personal solicitations of potential donors and sponsors, presentations and demonstrations before groups ranging in size from individuals to several thousand people, interviews in the press, television and radio appearances.
- A track record as a sound decision-maker.
- Proactive and very organized, yet willing to be flexible and adaptable to the needs of the job and the organization.
- Strong commitment to the mission, values, and goals of the organization.
- Must work well independently and as a team player with our small, committed staff.
- Understanding of military and/or first responder culture, and experience working within those organizations is highly desirable.
- Comfortable around dogs and working with individuals with disabilities.
Resume or CV, at least two professional references, and two writing samples (e.g., LOI, grant submission), should be sent no later than October 26, 2018 to:
Hero Dogs, Inc.
Attn: Nikki Charles, Executive Director
P.O. Box 64 Brookeville, MD 20833-0064
Please click here for information about volunteering!
Hero Dogs is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.